WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, a member of the Senate Commerce Committee, introduced that quite a few her aviation priorities handed the Commerce Committee as a part of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act.
“People deserve secure, reliable, and environment friendly air journey service. This bipartisan invoice consists of a number of provisions I labored on to enhance our entire aviation system by boosting workforce coaching, modernizing expertise, strengthening shopper safety, and updating security requirements. This vote within the Senate Commerce Committee brings us one step nearer to making sure that our aviation transport is best, stronger, and safer than earlier than,” stated Klobuchar.
Klobuchar efficiently included:
- The Aviation Workforce Development and Recruitment Act, Klobuchar’s bipartisan invoice with Senators Jerry Moran’s (R-KS), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), John Thune (R-SD), and others, to deal with aviation workforce shortages by boosting sources to assist recruit and prepare pilots, aviation manufacturing employees, and mechanics.
- The Families Fly Together Act, Klobuchar’s invoice with Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) and Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), to require airways to permit youngsters to sit down along with their relations on flights at no extra cost. Beneath present legislation, mother and father who wish to verify a seat subsequent to their youngsters – together with younger infants – are sometimes required to pay additional charges for advance seating, buy dearer tickets, or just depend on the kindness of strangers. It will assist preserve youngsters secure whereas touring and supply mother and father with much-needed peace of thoughts.
- Two amendments to enhance runway security and stop runway incursions. These amendments direct the FAA to make sure industrial planes are outfitted with state-of-the-art expertise that will practically get rid of the danger of runway collisions. These embrace applied sciences to detect close by planes on the runway and alert pilots to assist them keep away from collisions, in addition to applied sciences that assist pilots decide the required touchdown distance for a secure touchdown.
- An modification with Senators Duckworth, Lujan, and Warnock to require the FAA to revise and implement improved air site visitors management staffing requirements to higher deal with staffing shortages and meet growing demand.
- An modification with Senator Cantwell to increase eligible bills for 529 plans, permitting them for use to pay for flight and aviation upkeep packages licensed by the FAA. A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged account that can be utilized to pay for the certified training bills together with tuition, room and board.
Final yr, Klobuchar introduced that her bipartisan laws to assist stop FAA system outages was signed into legislation. The NOTAM Improvement Act requires the FAA to ascertain a process pressure to strengthen the resiliency and cybersecurity of the NOTAM system, which alerts pilots of security and placement hazards on flight routes. The legislation now requires the FAA to improve the NOTAM system and create a backup system by September 2024. The invoice adopted the January 2023 NOTAM system outage that grounded flights nationwide, and was sponsored within the Home by Rep. Stauber (R-MN) and Mark DeSaulnier (D-CA).